Tulsa Magic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How I'd like to Control Springfield

2 posters

Go down

How I'd like to Control Springfield Empty How I'd like to Control Springfield

Post  aceben3 Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:02 am

These look neat, from M-L:

1 Engineered Explosives
1 Tormod's Crypt
2 Force Spike
2 Spell Snare
2 Sensei's Divining Top
2 Counterbalance
2 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Smother
4 Counterspell
4 Thirst for Knowledge
2 Cryptic Command

3 Sower of Temptation
3 Spire Golem
2 Trinket Mage
2 Venser, Shaper Savant
2 Tombstalker (OBV)
1 Meloku the Clouded Mirror

1 Chrome Mox
7 Snow-Covered Island
3 Watery Grave
3 Polluted Delta
2 Flooded Strand
1 Vault of Whispers
1 Riptide Laboratory
1 Breeding Pool
1 Steam Vents
1 Academy Ruins
1 Seat of the Synod

SB:
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Smother
3 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Pithing Needle
3 Extirpate
3 Threads of Disloyalty
2 Duress

Could be a good time for something like this to come back:
4 Flooded Strand
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Great Furnace
1 Ancient Den
2 Island
2 Plains
1 Mountain
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Windswept Heath
2 Polluted Delta
2 Steam Vents
2 Sacred Foundry

2 Lightning Angel
4 Silver Knight (I don't love this card)
4 Meddling Mage
2 Trinket Mage

3 Counterbalance
3 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Isochron Scepter
3 Orim's Chant
4 Lightning Helix
4 Remand
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Tormod's Crypt
3 Fire/Ice

SB:
3 Tormod's Crypt
3 Wrath of God
3 Threads of Disloyalty (I kinda want these main...)
3 Dwarven Blastminer
3 Kataki, War's Wage
aceben3
aceben3
Admin

https://tulsamagic.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

How I'd like to Control Springfield Empty Re: How I'd like to Control Springfield

Post  Solomon Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:12 am

How about Ancestral Visions instead of Thirst for Knowledge? It's been the tech for PLU so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work here. Also, Stifle should be MD or SB.
Solomon
Solomon
Admin

Back to top Go down

How I'd like to Control Springfield Empty Re: How I'd like to Control Springfield

Post  aceben3 Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:56 am

Yeah, I do like Visions a lot so I may very well play that. I think I want Trickbind SB, but Arcane Lab might work too.
aceben3
aceben3
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  aceben3 Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:40 am

It's really annoying to draw Visions lategame, and it's also a tough turn one choice when you're playing Tops and 7 one-drop counters. I tested this tonight and did pretty well:
7 Snow-Covered Island
2 Watery Grave
4 Polluted Delta
4 Flooded Strand
1 Vault of Whispers
1 Breeding Pool
1 Steam Vents
1 Academy Ruins
2 Ghost Quarter
3 Sower of Temptation
3 Spire Golem
2 Trinket Mage
2 Venser, Shaper Savant
2 Tombstalker
1 Meloku the Clouded Mirror
2 Sensei's Divining Top
2 Counterbalance
3 Force Spike
4 Spell Snare
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Tormod's Crypt
3 Smother
4 Counterspell
3 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Upheaval
SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 1 Pithing Needle (kinda useless, might get cut for another Threads)
SB: 3 Extirpate
SB: 2 Threads of Disloyalty
SB: 3 Ancient Grudge (sooooooo worth the double splash)
SB: 3 Trickbind
SB: 2 Umezawa's Jitte

The SB Jittes are a little awkward, but they are kinda narrow after all so it seems ok. Upheaval hasn't happened yet but it's so good in the mirror. Also, I kinda want one more land.

Edited a second time.

Last edited by Admin on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:52 am; edited 3 times in total
aceben3
aceben3
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Solomon Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:24 am

That makes sense! That build looks both powerful and fun. You have so many options and your threat density is amazing. Go go Booomstalker!
Solomon
Solomon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  aceben3 Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:20 am

just 5-0ed a 26-man magic-league tourney, so quick n dirty report:
r1: vs Tooth and Nail w/Pollen Lullaby
I run out Spire Golem on turn 3, use Ghost Quarter and Spell snare on Sylvan Scrying to keep him off Tron and Boseiju postboard, then play out a few dudes while countering his relevant spells (there aren't many) and wait out/fight through his Lullabys ftw. This matchup is easier than Tron because they don't have Gifts threatening to put everything together really fast, and because they are usually reliant on fewer big spells. They can kill you out of nowhere though with Boseiju+Tooth for Kiki-Jiki and Sky Hussar. Also, they have O-Stone but you can just recover or counter or destroy it. Sower on their big creatures is pretty nice, and postboard, Extirpate on Tron pieces is awesome and Grudge is helpful.
SB: -3 Force Spike, -3 Smother, -1 Engineered Explosives, +1 Pithing Needle, +3 Ancient Grudge, +3 Extirpate
My opponent was really playing around Force Spike so I definitely took it out but you could also take out Sowers or maybe Meloku I guess. Meloku does do a good job of saving your lands from Titan though. I won this match 2-0.

r2: vs crappy Krark-Clan Ironworks combo (bye)
Yeah, M-L sucks sometimes. He played Gifts, Myr Retriever, Desire, Mox, Artifact Lands, Talismans, and Trash for Treasure. No clue how he won round 1. He also Pithing Needled naming Pithing Needle. Supposedly he hadn't slept in 3 days. I don't know either. But I did win 2-0.

r3: vs UG Tron
I basically outlined how to play this matchup above. I bring in an extra Crypt for the Meloku because they have counters which make Meloku bad and clunky, and because they are much more reliant on their graveyard than Tooth. Also, I take out Spell Snares and leave the Force Spikes in, because at best you hit a Signet (or Goyf...foreshadowing) with Snare, and Force Spike can often counter Gifts, Thirst, or even big spells if you get lucky.
Game 1, I played turn 3 Trinket Mage, turn 4 Spire Golem to put him on a clock. He plays 2 Thirsts and Gifts, all of which resolve. Then he Loams his Tron back. I have Ghost Quarter to delay Tron a turn and Counterspell for Mindslaver, then Sower (and Venser) for Platinum Angel, and by then my guys get there.
Game 2, he resolves a Tarmogoyf on turn 3 so I play a Spire Golem to block. He gets natural Tron on turn 4, so I try to Ghost Quarter him. In response, he plays Gifts. I know that I have an Extirpate on top of my deck, so I'm happy to let it resolve. I strip him of his Urza's Towers and Grudge a Signet. Goyf hits me a couple of times while my Sower gets Remanded. He plays Sundering Titan with two mana open. I have two mana open as well and try to counter it, but he has Condescend so we go to game three.
Game 3, I play first and he mulligans. At the end of my third turn, he cycles Lonely Sandbar, so I Thirst in response. On my turn 3, I play Trinket Mage for Top and play the Top. He plays Tarmogoyf. I untap and play a fifth land and a Sower. He only has two mana open and no Remand, so Sower resolves. I also play a Crypt. He untaps, facing down 7 power worth of dudes and plays Gifts, which is fine with me. EOT, I crack my fetch and Extirpate a Tron piece again. My guys take him to 10 and I play BOOOOMstalker with two mana open and Counterspell in hand. He plays Tarmogoyf with Condecend backup for my counter so I just untap, Venser the Goyf, and Counterspell his attempted Remand for the win.
I feel like there's a lot to this matchup, but it's firmly in my favor. I just hope I can finish the stupid thing in 50 minutes.

r4: vs multicolor midrange
Game 1, he plays Coiling Oracle revealing Hierarch, then Bird but no third land, so I Smother the Bird EOT. I play Counterbalance, but my Top doesn't cough up a 3-drop to counter his Troll so it resolves. I play Spire Golem with one mana open, but he resolves Sword of Fire and Ice next turn too. I play another Spire Golem so he can't attack with Troll+Sword until he finds a fourth land or it will die and only kill one Spire Golem. Lucky for me, he doesn't find a fourth land for the next four turns. I play BOOOOOOMstalker, he attacks into it (no Sword) so I block Troll with Boomstalker. He doesn't regenerate but plays Fire to try to finish it off. I have Spell Snare and he is boned.
Game 2, I keep a 2-land hand on the draw with a lot of countermagic. I can't find land for awhile so he got me relatively low because rather than playing spells he just hit me with a Faerie Conclave and Treetop Village. I draw Smother and Ghost Quarter to handle them and by the time I play my Spell Snare, Spike, and 2 Counterspells, I have 5 lands in play so I have an easy win from there.

r5: Finals vs TEPS
Game 1, he starts with Gemstone Mine and double Lotus Bloom. I play Counterbalance with no Top. He plays a Sulfur Vent and my blind Counterbalance fails to hit his Blooms. Luckily, he wasn't able to go off the turn the Blooms came into play. I play Venser on one EOT and begin to beat. I counter a Burning Wish and Channel the Suns and Ghost Quarter his last land remaining, then play Boomstalker. He still hasn't found a land when his Bloom comes back, so I Force Spike it and he scoops.
Game 2, he again opens on double Bloom but with no land. He does find one though, and tries Chromatic Sphere, which gets Spiked. I play and flashback Ancient Grudge on the Blooms during his upkeep when the resolve. I don't have any pressure though. I play a Spire Golem, Venser a land, then play Counterbalance over the next 3 turns. I don't have a Top though. He goes for it while on 10 life. Rite of Flame comes first. Counterbalance reveals Boomstalker. Rite resolves. Next is Seething Song. It meets Counterspell. He tries Cabal Ritual with Threshold and a Blue floating. I Extirpate Lotus Bloom in response to deny him Threshold. I also tell him that his hand is "1 Cabal, 1 Channel, 1 Wish, 1 Desire." I just have Ancient Grudge in hand so he gets to resolve the Ritual then play another, then Channel the Suns and Mind's Desire for 8. He doesn't whiff so we need a decider.
Game 3, I drew all three Trickbinds. GG.

<Drizzs> ggs man gl later gonna eat some bacon

End not-so-QnD Report.
aceben3
aceben3
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Solomon Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:59 am

Great report! Sounds like your taking that beast to Springfield. Cool
Solomon
Solomon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down